One thing that has changed in the last few years with my experience of visual arts is reading about it. I have been trying to read every day, on the train to work or just before going to sleep. This literature has opened a world of new ideas and I thought I’d list some of the most interesting ones for you to look into.
- Camera Lucida – Ronald Barthes
- On Photography – Susan Sontag
- The Pencil Of Nature – William Henry Fox Talbot
- Chroma : Book Of Color – Derek Jarman
- Bending The Frame – Fred Ritchin
Each of these books discuss a unique viewpoint regarding perception and the ideas behind the act of photographing or the medium itself. You should be able to find most of these on amazon. I’m sure you’d find these books worth reading even if you’re not a photographer.